Award in Basic Life Support and Safe Management of Anaphylaxis Level 2 (RQF)
Anaphylaxis is a severe and life-threatening allergic reaction, which requires immediate medical attention. With the number of sufferers increasing each year, it is extremely important to know what to do when faced with this acute emergency condition. The QA Level 2 Award in Basic Life Support and Management of Anaphylaxis (RQF) qualification has been designed for those who have a specific responsibility at work, at home or in voluntary and community activities, to provide basic life support and manage anaphylaxis when dealing with an emergency. Successful candidates will be able to recognise the signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis, and will be equipped with the vital skills needed to administer safe, prompt and effective treatment.
The course is taught over 4 hours and includes a mixture of individual, group, theory and practical lessons including appropriate training aids. The course includes a theory assessment (multiple choice and short answer question paper). Some individual study time outside of the course is recommended.
- Understand basic life support requirements
- Be able to demonstrate basic life support techniques and automated external defibrillator use in line with current national guidelines
- Be able to demonstrate post-resuscitation procedures
- Be able to carry out basic user maintenance and troubleshoot problems with an automated external defibrillator
- Understand the safe use of an automated external defibrillator
- To identify the common triggers for Anaphylaxis
- To be able to recognise the signs and symptoms of Anaphylaxis
- To be able to identify the possible life- threatening features of an anaphylactic reaction
- To be able to administer treatment to a casualty suffering from Anaphylaxis
- To be able to identify key features of various auto adrenaline injectors
- To be able to demonstrate the safe use of an adrenaline auto injector using a training device
- To be able to understand and demonstrate how to safely dispose of sharps